Rotary International LogoKeosauqua Rotary Club
Tuesday Noon
Keosauqua Senior Center-1st & 2nd Tuesdays
Great Day Café-3rd, 4th, & 5th Tuesdays
Keosauqua, IA

 

Keosauqua Rotary

The Keosauqua Rotary Club is a part of Rotary International, a worldwide organization of business and professional leaders that provides humanitarian service, encourages high ethical standards in all vocations, and helps build goodwill and peace in the world.

Rotary was formed on February 23, 1905 in Chicago by Paul R. Harris, Attorney (graduate of University of Iowa) and three of his friends.

Early meetings “rotated” from business place to business place… thus the name ROTARY.

In 1985 Rotary took on the challenge to eradicate polio worldwide. To date over a billion children have been immunized and Rotary has raised and spent over one half billion dollars in that effort. Other Rotary humanitarian projects have included supplying firetrucks, ambulances, medical care and supplies, water wells and other essentials to people in need world-wide. These represent just a few examples of the organization's work.

Approximately 1.2 million Rotarians belong to more than 32,000 clubs in 168 countries.

The Keosauqua Rotary club was chartered on June 27, 1955 by the sponsoring Ottumwa Rotary Club. The first meeting was held on June 28, 1955 in the Zephyr Room of the Goodie Garden Café. Charter Night was held at the Keosauqua High School on September 9, 1955 with the following clubs participating and making presentations: Ottumwa (Rotary Bell and Gavel), Mt. Pleasant (Music), Bloomfield & Fairfield (Charter Members Buttons), Washington (Rotary Banner), Burlington (Club Record), Iowa City (Speaker’s Stand), Ft. Madison & Keokuk (Highway Signs).

The first officers were Robert A. Bruce, President, Jo S. Stong, Vice President, Arthur Secor, secretary, the Rev. Bill Hudson, treasurer, Fred Ovrom and Norwood Teal, directors.

Charter members were Carl A. Archibald, Virgil Blaskey, Robert Bruce, Orvey Buck, Ralph Clark, Leslie Fahrner, J.F. Harbison, F.W. Faulkner, William D. Hudson, Ernest S. Jordon, Bert M. Leck, John A. Manning, Lloyd M. Reid, Craig Morrison, E.W. Murphy, Fred E. Ovrom, Ray C. Randell, James W. McGrath, Clyde J. Roberts, Arthur Secor, Harvey Spurgeon, Jo S. Stong, Norwood Teal, George Umphrey, and Dr. J. T. Worrell.

About Rotary

Rotary is an organization of business and professional leaders united worldwide who provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. In more than 160 countries worldwide, approximately 1.2 million Rotarians belong to more than 30,000 Rotary clubs.

Rotary club membership represents a cross-section of the community's business and professional men and women. The world's Rotary clubs meet weekly and are nonpolitical, nonreligious, and open to all cultures, races, and creeds.

The main objective of Rotary is service — in the community, in the workplace, and throughout the world. Rotarians develop community service projects that address many of today's most critical issues, such as children at risk, poverty and hunger, the environment, illiteracy, and violence. They also support programs for youth, educational opportunities and international exchanges for students, teachers, and other professionals, and vocational and career development. The Rotary motto is Service Above Self.

Although Rotary clubs develop autonomous service programs, all Rotarians worldwide are united in a campaign for the global eradication of polio. In the 1980s, Rotarians raised $240 million to immunize the children of the world; by 2005, Rotary's centenary year and the target date for the certification of a polio-free world, the PolioPlus program will have contributed $500 million to this cause. In addition, Rotary has provided an army of volunteers to promote and assist at national immunization days in polio-endemic countries around the world.

Find out more about Rotary by visiting the Rotary International web site.


 


The Keosauqua Rotary Club's original meeting place in 1955 was at the "Goodie Garden" cafe. Meetings were held each Tuesday at 12:05 PM Membership dues were $16 to be paid quarterly with dues also covering the cost of the weekly meal.

Following the closing of the "Goodie Garden" the Hotel Manning was the club's home for thirty plus years . . followed by the Corner Cafe . . the Milky Way .. the Red Barn Bistro . .  the VFW, the First Street Grill and today Rotary still meets at noon on Tuesdays but at the Keosauqua Senior Center.